eatin’ good in this ‘hood, on sunday anyway
October 16, 2012
→If you’re looking for an interesting culinary experience to share with your pasta-loving friends, you’ll want to call right away to nab a reservation for this coming Sunday’s (Oct. 21st) pasta demonstration and dinner led by two of Philadelphia’s culinary pioneers, Aliza Green and Susanna Foo. The collaboration is a chance to spotlight Green’s book, Making Artisan Pasta, and will feature this hedonistic menu below, as well as a demo of her hand-stretched all-yolk tortellini.
• Seared Diver Scallops, Butternut Squash Quinoa Risotto w/ Empress Mushroom & Truffle Sauce
• Asparagus Raviolo, Soft-Cooked Egg & Ricotta Cheese
• Slow Braised Short Ribs, Sweet Potato Soufflé, Chinese Ratatouille & Star Anise Sauce
• Chocolate Pasta w/ Hazelnut-Brown Butter Sauce, Cocoa Nibs & Red Wine Poached Asian Pears
Yes, we agree. VERY drool-worthy. The feasting begins at 6 p.m. and the cost is $49 plus tax and gratuity. For reservations, call (610) 688-8808. For those who don’t know, Green is a James Beard Award-winning author of twelve (soon to be thirteen), cookbooks and food guides. She and Foo traveled to Italy in 2011, igniting a mutual passion for pasta making. Also on the menu this Sunday in Philly’s ‘burbs, Ella’s American Bistro‘s inaugural Family-style Sunday Supper. We’re still honing in on timing and pricing, but the idea is to bring the family and enjoy a home-cooked meal without lifting a finger. What we do know, is that the price is all-inclusive, with an option for wine pairings; and that the dinners are ideally suited for parties of four or more. (We assume that’s because when they say “family-style,” they mean it.) Reservations are required. We think this Sunday’s Italian-themed menu sounds pretty good (below), but are even more stoked about the Korean menu on 11/18. (We’ll start taunting you with that one in a couple of weeks.) Bon appetit!
• Spaghetti/Meatballs Marinara
• Orrechetti Primavera
• Broccoli Rabe
• Autumn Salad Greens, Olives, Pepperoncini
• Roasted Garlic, Olive oil, Toasted Bread
• Italian Cookies